Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Separation of power supply  (Read 6838 times)
raygungothic

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2009, 09:10:59 AM »

Hi everyone,

My Arduinix arrived on Friday and I'm charging ahead with it! But I had one small newbie question I wanted to seek expert advice on.

I understand it's OK (maybe even desirable) to power the Arduinix off 12v. My Arduino doesn't seem to like my 12v supply very much; it gets warm. I don't have a 9v (except battery) so usually I run the Arduino off 5v and anything I plug into it off 12, voltage rails completely separate, grounds wired together.

I would like to do the same thing with the Arduinix. This is my first shield, and I'm not sure quite how to do this on a shield, but I notice that the Arduino has Vin next to two Grounds. If I connect the left-hand ground to the Arduinix, then put the Vin and the right-hand ground header pins the other way up (sticking AWAY from the Arduino), it looks like I could do what I want. Like this:

____II
IIII

(side view of the power pins on the 'nix)
My multimeter tells me the Arduinix ground pins are wired together, so this should connect my grounds.

Does that make sense? Is this correct? Is it a valid way to do things?

Many thanks!

nonentity
Co-Owner, Robotpirate
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 07:05:37 AM »

Hi everyone,

My Arduinix arrived on Friday and I'm charging ahead with it! But I had one small newbie question I wanted to seek expert advice on.

I understand it's OK (maybe even desirable) to power the Arduinix off 12v. My Arduino doesn't seem to like my 12v supply very much; it gets warm. I don't have a 9v (except battery) so usually I run the Arduino off 5v and anything I plug into it off 12, voltage rails completely separate, grounds wired together.

I would like to do the same thing with the Arduinix. This is my first shield, and I'm not sure quite how to do this on a shield, but I notice that the Arduino has Vin next to two Grounds. If I connect the left-hand ground to the Arduinix, then put the Vin and the right-hand ground header pins the other way up (sticking AWAY from the Arduino), it looks like I could do what I want. Like this:

____II
IIII

(side view of the power pins on the 'nix)
My multimeter tells me the Arduinix ground pins are wired together, so this should connect my grounds.

Does that make sense? Is this correct? Is it a valid way to do things?

Many thanks!

Let me confer with Jer about this, I'll get back here with an answer asap for you.

nonentity
Robotpirate Founder
www.robotpirate.com

nonentity
Co-Owner, Robotpirate
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 08:17:47 AM »

Raygun, yes, you should be able to do what you're talking about, just by inverting the power pins, and plugging into it from above. 

Post pics when you get it working!

nonentity
Robotpirate Founder
www.robotpirate.com

raygungothic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:28:31 AM »

Thanks very much!

I don't know how long it will take my tubes to arrive but I shall definitely take pics when they do.

Thanks again

Lester.

raygungothic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 04:51:49 AM »

My tubes arrived!

Life is batshit insane right now so I don't know when I can wire them up, but they're here!

Sorry to bother the forum with this, but almost no-one I know IRL would understand the excitement.

I just hope they work...

nonentity
Co-Owner, Robotpirate
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 10:38:54 AM »

My tubes arrived!

Life is batshit insane right now so I don't know when I can wire them up, but they're here!

Sorry to bother the forum with this, but almost no-one I know IRL would understand the excitement.

I just hope they work...

WOOHOO, raygun!  I definitely can relate... I remember when my first set of tubes came from russia, I was so stoked, and when I finally got them to light up, I almost couldn't believe it!

My first "from russia with love" shipment (actually from the ukraine, but WTH)

My first lit tube

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

nonentity
Robotpirate Founder
www.robotpirate.com

raygungothic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 05:03:48 AM »

Nice pics. I definitely need to do (and blog) "unwrapping" pics as well as pics of the project. Unfortunately my life and workspace are both in chaos right now  Angry

My original aim when I bought the Arduinix was to wire it to the output of my giant 1950s(?) geiger counter (it's an incredibly retro-looking die-cast box, about a 10" x10" x 8", with a 6" tube window on the front, plenty of spare room in there), as it would have looked perfectly in character. Unfortunately, the g/m tube seems to have gone unserviceable in storage and I don't really know how to fix it, and maybe the incredibly pretty Nixies should go in something I use more than twice a decade. Don't really feel like a clock at the moment so I'm still looking for an application - but that's no reason not to get them working!

I noticed they look awesome when switched off and under-lit, so I may modify the valve bases to have room for a nice bright LED - purely for aesthetic purposes.

(Edited to add: my IN-8s came with a lovely oily stained Cyrillic data sheet circa 1980, I will DEFINITELY be scanning, perhaps getting a Russian friend to translate)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: