Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nixie short/glow in one digit - after 10,000 hours  (Read 3624 times)
catdotgif

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2015, 03:25:05 PM »

Hey All,
      The nixie clock I built based on the Arduinix circuit is still going strong after three years.  Recently, the #3 digit on one of the IN-4 tubes stopped displaying as a number, and now there's just a blobby glow on one side of the tube.  I've had that happen once before on a tube that doesn't display the full 0-9 digits, and swapping it with another tube eventually cleared it up.  But this one appears to be sticking around.

I'm assuming what has happened is that some kind of filament bridge has formed between the number and the adjacent anode mesh.  I was thinking maybe I could run low voltage current through it to burn out the bridge, but I thought I'd post the issue first to see if anyone has had a similar problem and found a solution for it.  

thxthx!

nonentity
Co-Owner, Robotpirate
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »

Hey All,
      The nixie clock I built based on the Arduinix circuit is still going strong after three years.  Recently, the #3 digit on one of the IN-4 tubes stopped displaying as a number, and now there's just a blobby glow on one side of the tube.  I've had that happen once before on a tube that doesn't display the full 0-9 digits, and swapping it with another tube eventually cleared it up.  But this one appears to be sticking around.

I'm assuming what has happened is that some kind of filament bridge has formed between the number and the adjacent anode mesh.  I was thinking maybe I could run low voltage current through it to burn out the bridge, but I thought I'd post the issue first to see if anyone has had a similar problem and found a solution for it.  

thxthx!

Do you think it could be cathode poisoning?  If so, to reverse it, swap the anode and cathode for the digit in question and run it in "reverse" for a bit.

nonentity
Robotpirate Founder
www.robotpirate.com

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: