Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Starting my build soon - few questions  (Read 7913 times)
poxin
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2010, 07:02:18 PM »

I just ordered all the parts needed to make my nixie clock, pretty excited. I'm still very much in the learning stage (with electronics and the arduino) but this should be a pretty fun build.

There are two things I would like to add to my build and if possible, maybe someone could help me out with this.

The first thing I want to add is crossfade between the tubes (I will be using six of the SZ-8s) as seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo2KDvvWuFY

The second would be a tad more difficult. I haven't put the kit together yet but I am hoping there are enough ports left open to add an alarm clock function. One button to view/set the alarm. Two buttons to change hour/min. One switch to turn the whole function on and off, possibly a snooze function as well. To those who know about this than I do: is this feasible? I think it would add a ton of 'actual' functionality to it other than being a pretty $150 clock.

Edit: The more I think about it, a dimmer would be pretty nice too for bedroom use, not sure if that's possible though.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 09:32:44 PM by poxin » Logged

nonentity
Co-Owner, Robotpirate
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:38:39 PM »

I just ordered all the parts needed to make my nixie clock, pretty excited. I'm still very much in the learning stage (with electronics and the arduino) but this should be a pretty fun build.

There are two things I would like to add to my build and if possible, maybe someone could help me out with this.

The first thing I want to add is crossfade between the tubes (I will be using six of the SZ-8s) as seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo2KDvvWuFY

The second would be a tad more difficult. I haven't put the kit together yet but I am hoping there are enough ports left open to add an alarm clock function. One button to view/set the alarm. Two buttons to change hour/min. One switch to turn the whole function on and off, possibly a snooze function as well. To those who know about this than I do: is this feasible? I think it would add a ton of 'actual' functionality to it other than being a pretty $150 clock.

Howdy Poxin, Welcome to the forums!

I am sure someone on here will be able to answer your alarm clock questions, and if not, we can try to figure something out.  As far as crossfade, I know Jeremy had this working at one point, and I will ask if he still has that sample code laying around someplace.

Happy hacking!

nonentity
Robotpirate Founder
www.robotpirate.com

poxin
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »

Here is what I have so far:

Laying out all the parts:

Beginning to solder the board up:

Almost done:

Yay!

Now that I know it works, time to wire all 6 up and start designing some sort of enclosure for it.

Not the greatest work in the world, but this is my first time soldering a board up like this. Not shown is the transistor I put on backward and had a hell of a time getting back off! Smiley

poxin
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 07:21:16 PM »

Some more updates

Three down, three more to go.

So many wires!

my "workstation"

chicken

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 06:10:53 PM »

Howdy Poxin, Welcome to the forums!

I am sure someone on here will be able to answer your alarm clock questions, and if not, we can try to figure something out.  As far as crossfade, I know Jeremy had this working at one point, and I will ask if he still has that sample code laying around someplace.

Happy hacking!

I wanted to bump this thread as I am interested in the crossfade feature as well.

Emblazed
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:29:04 AM »

When I get home tonight I will post the crossfade code. Its still a work in progress but close enough to give you the effect you want.

- Emblazed

poxin
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 01:03:26 PM »

Thought I would post an update.

Here is my enclosure: pretty much finished.

I went out to my local radioshack and bought a bunch of switches/toggles for the alarm section. I'm not very good with coding, or the arduino, but I think I can get most of it working. Just a couple gray areas I have no idea how to get going.

Emblazed, would you be willing to help me out on here, or via email? I can post what I have figured out thus far.

k9zw

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 01:23:51 PM »

Thought I would post an update.

Here is my enclosure: pretty much finished.

VERY hansom - looking forward to seeing finished pictures!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: